Welcome to the BCcampus Universal Design for Learning (UDL) challenge series for faculty passionate about reducing barriers and enhancing learner voice in your course.

UDL Challenge

Challenge 4: Enhancing Capacity for Monitoring Progress Transcript

Venecia: Welcome back explorers

Heidi: to our BCcampus UDL Challenge series.

Venecia: My name is Venecia

Heidi: and I’m Heidi.

Venecia: So for our next challenge, we are looking at the principle of action and expression, specifically enhancing student capacity to monitor their progress. Heidi, why is this important?

Heidi: Well, monitoring progress is really important, right? And it’s connected to feedback. And so through feedback, instructors and students can understand how well they’re doing and maybe identify areas for improvement. And according to Cast.org, timely feedback is critical. What am I missing?

Venecia: It should also be explicit, informative, and accessible.

Heidi: Thank you. Yes. And what about you, Venecia? What do you do to help your students monitor their progress?

Venecia: Well, one thing I’d like to do is self-reflection in my class. So at the end of each class, students have to answer some questions. And one of them is, you know, what’s something new that you learned today? And how is it connected to something you already know? But I also ask, do you have any questions? And I go through all the information and all the questions. And in our next class, I try to answer as many of the questions that I can so that everybody can benefit from the responses.

Heidi: I really like that you follow up in the next class. That’s really important.

Venecia: Is there something that you do to help students in this way?

Heidi: Yes. So in my program, we have a lot of clinical competencies. And so we set up this opportunity, sort of the midterm point, for them to meet with us and talk about their progress and maybe help them identify areas where they need support. So to complete this next challenge, we’re asking you to look at your course and provide one additional way for students to show their capacity for monitoring their progress.

Venecia: And as always, we have some resources and some examples below the video. We are looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Heidi: Happy exploring.